OdishaPlus Bureau

Global energy supermajor BP plc and Reliance Industries Ltd on Thursday announced the start of their fuel retailing joint venture under the brand ”Jio-bp”.

BP had last year bought a 49 percent stake in the 1,400-odd petrol pumps and 31 aviation turbine fuel (ATF) stations owned by Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) for USD 1 billion. The joint venture, where RIL holds the remaining 51 percent, has now commenced operations.

“Following initial agreements in 2019, bp and RIL teams have worked closely over the past few months in a challenging environment to complete the transaction as planned,” the companies said in a joint statement, adding the new fuels and mobility joint venture, Reliance BP Mobility Ltd (RBML), has started operations.


Operating under the ”Jio-bp” brand, the joint venture aims to become a leading player in India’s fuels and mobility markets. RBML has received the marketing authorization for transportation fuels, amongst other necessary regulatory and statutory approvals. The joint venture will begin selling fuels and Castrol lubricants with immediate effect from its existing retail outlets, which will be rebranded to ”Jio-bp” in due course.

“It will leverage Reliance’s presence across 21 states and its millions of consumers through the Jio digital platform. bp will bring its extensive global experience in high-quality differentiated fuels, lubricants, retail, and advanced low carbon mobility solutions,” the statement said.

India’s auto fuel retailing is dominated by public sector oil companies that own the majority of 69,392 petrol pumps in the country. State-owned IOC, BPCL, and HPCL own 62,072 petrol pumps and 224 out of the 256 aviation fuel stations in the country.BP and RIL said they expect the venture to grow rapidly to help meet India’s fast-growing demands for energy and mobility.

India will be among world’s top 3 economies: Mukesh Ambani

“India is expected to be the fastest-growing fuel market in the world over the next 20 years, with the number of passenger cars in the country estimated to grow almost six-fold over the period. RBML aims to expand from its current fuel retailing network of over 1,400 retail sites to up to 5,500 over the next five years,” the statement said.

This rapid growth will require a four-fold increase in staff employed in service stations — growing from 20,000 to 80,000 in this period. The joint venture also aims to increase its presence from 30 to 45 airports in the coming years.

RIL Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani said: “Reliance is expanding on its strong and valued partnership with bp, to establish a pan-Indian presence in retail and aviation fuels. RBML will aim to be a leader in mobility and low carbon solutions, bringing cleaner and affordable options for Indian consumers with digital and technology being our key enablers.”