The Coronavirus pandemic and lockdowns across the world led to an increase in the usage of video conferencing apps. As a result, a number of foreign IT companies started their own apps such as Zoom, Google meet, etc. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in April had warned the Zoom app users that the video-conferencing application is not safe for usage.
The govt, by April end, announced an innovation challenge for the development of a video conferencing app. Govt wanted developers in India to come up with an alternative to the video conferencing app, Zoom.
Reliance launches JioMeet at the time when people across the country are discarding products that are not made in India especially with China as an origin country. Currently, JioMeet has been rated as high as 4.8 on App store and 4.6 on Google Play store. The app has already been downloaded by 100k Android users. Similar to Zoom, JioMeet lets you schedule a meeting and share the meeting code in advance with the participants. On its official website, JioMeet claims all the meetings are “encrypted” but doesn’t provide details if this is end-to-end encryption.
Advantages of Jio Meet over other video conferencing apps:
- A meeting on JioMeet can go on for 24 hours without any interruption.
- Each and every meeting hosted on JioMeet is password protected.
- JioMeet comes with Screen Sharing option.
- To join a JioMeet meeting you will just need to click on the Join option on the home screen and enter the Meeting ID provided by the host.
- The platform provides an option to disable audio and video before joining the meeting. Notably, JioMeet allows you to join a video conference even if you don’t have an account with JioMeet.
Devices that support JioMeet
- Android devices running on Android 5.0 and above.
- iOS devices running on iOS 9 or above.
- Windows 10 devices.
• Mac devices running on version 10.13 and above